Any tips on Asus PC eee 1000HE netbook?

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Mon Apr 6 19:55:58 UTC 2009

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-04-05 at 13:57 -0400, Jim wrote:
>> Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
>>> I've just acquired one of the above beasties. The thing comes with XP,
>>> so I'm interested in installing a dual-boot system with Fedora. AFAIK
>>> the 900 and 901 models are known to work, but the 1000HE is fairly new.
>>> I wondered if people who've already done this can warn me of potential
>>> pitfalls.
>>>
>>> All advice gratefully accepted.
>>>
>>> poc
>>>

>> As of kernel-2.27 in Fedora 10 , the Asus 1000 Sd version all the
>> drivers are available .
>> Had no problems of installing.
>
> Thanks to all for the info. It looks very promising and I'll be trying
> F10 in the next or two. I have a sneaking desire to go straight to F11b
> (mainly for the ext4 fs) but that may be a bridge too far at the moment.

ext4 has been available since FC9... FC11 makes it the default, but you don't
need (or IMHO *want*) to go FC11 if you are interested in using the machine as
opposed to having a learning experience. FC11 is "good for beta" but definitely
in a testing stage. And during install there's a prompt something like "Are you
out of your mind?" or similar, to remind you this may not be suitable for
production. And in my experience it isn't, although it's a fun ride if you have
multiple machines and use one for playing.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>