System time 1 hr ahead of real time

suvayu ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 02:51:42 UTC 2009

2009/4/6 Mikkel L. Ellertson <mikkel at infinity-ltd.com>:
> suvayu ali wrote:
>>
>> Thanks Matthew for this clear explanation. I am going to set the
>> hardware clock to UTC and set Windows to use UTC without DST
>> corrections to avoid further confusion. This seems like the most
>> sure-shot way to tackle the problem.
>>
>> Thanks to all who replied. :)
>>
> There is a registry tweak for for XP so that you can have the
> hardware clock set to UTC, and still have the time correctly
> displayed for the time zone you have set. It is supposed to bother
> some programs, but I have not run into any yet. (Then again, I don't
> run XP that often.)
>
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\TimeZoneInformation]
> "RealTimeIsUniversal"=dword:00000001
>
> Mikkel

Thanks Mikkel :) Added that to the registry. My only reason for using
XP is some graphics intensive gaming, so doesn't matter much whether
certain apps likes that or not.

So after all this, my hardware clock is set to UTC. And both windows
and Fedora show the correct time for my time zone (with DST). Now only
the next DST change will tell whether everything is just right.

Thank you all for the help. ^_^

--
Suvayu