Fedora and Dell Vostro

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Tue Apr 7 19:12:08 UTC 2009

Frank Cox wrote:
> On Tue, 07 Apr 2009 13:58:35 -0400
> m wrote:
>
>> Vostro 1500 works fine wth F10 , i had to opt for the intel wireless otherwise they shipped broadcom(no thank you).  Also had to nuke XP (kinda fun actually) but beware the "media direct button"(i think its called) it will hose your install.
>
> There is actually a button on the keyboard(?) that will cause the laptop to
> stop working?  And you can't disable that?
>
> Really?
>
> That alone would be a darn good reason to stay far far away from the thing....

If the button does what the one I have on my Toshiba, it boots from
a special partition on the drive. This normally loads a media player
that works without Windows. I have never checked to see if the
location was "hard-wired" into the BIOS, but I could see it causing
problems if it is. You would never know what code was going to be
run if you deleted the partition. I am not sure what error checking
is done. I am not going to delete it and find out - I like being to
use the laptop as a DVD/CD player without having to boot a "normal" OS.

I have also heard of laptops that have a button that will restore
the OS from a recovery partition, but they normally require you to
confirm that this is what you want to do.

Mikkel