dbus vs bluetooth, dbus denies all bt actions. WTH?

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Tue Apr 7 20:17:07 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 07 April 2009, Kevin Kofler wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Subject says it all, anything/everything in the bluez-4.34/test directory
>> is being denied by dbus.
>
>[snip]
>
>> How can I fix this?
>
>File a bug.
>
>And as you appear to use Rawhide, please use the fedora-test-list next time.
>Stable Fedora releases have a permissive D-Bus, so this bug should only
>happen in Rawhide. And BlueZ 4.34 is also only in Rawhide at the moment.
>
>        Kevin Kofler

Not rawhide, Kevin, locally built bluez when the rpms for 4.30 wouldn't work.

And I have edited /etc/dbus-1/system.d/bluetooth.conf & made the last stanza
read allow instead of deny.  That generally fixed the dbus denial crap, but
even though I now have the devices paired ok, minicom still says it can't find
/dev/rfcomm0 when I can plainly see it in /dev/rfcomm*:

---------------------------------
[root at coyote blueman-1.02]# ls -l /dev/rfcomm*
crw------- 1 root root 216, 0 2009-04-07 14:50 /dev/rfcomm0
[root at coyote blueman-1.02]# minicom
minicom: cannot open /dev/rfcomm0: No such file or directory
------------------------

I have paired them with the bluez 'simple-agent' from the 4.34 build, a
utility that is not in the rpms.

I have also installed blueman-1.0.2 and the blueman-assistant claims the
remote device was added, but then cannot connect with it, same error as
minicom gives.

Any Suggestions?  I now have quite an array of tools and can supply the output
they give, so ask away.  The devices are now reported as paired, but still
aren't talking to each other.

Thanks.

--
Cheers, Gene