Apache Config - how to make a directory accessable ?

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Tue Apr 7 20:33:12 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-04-07 at 13:10 -0600, Kevin Kempter wrote:
> Hi All;
>

> I have a laptop running Fedora10 x86_64.
>

> I started the default config and I can go to http://localhost and I
> see the expected Fedora Test Page.
>

> I want to install a web site in /stage/webpages/csweb (/stage is a
> separate file system) so I did this:
>

> 1) I checked to make sure the httpd.conf file was including the
> conf.d/* files with this line in the httpd.conf file:
>

> Include conf.d/*.conf
>

> 2) I added this file (named csweb.conf) to the /etc/httpd/conf.d
> directory:
>

> #
> # Setup directory: /stage/webpages/csweb
> #
> AliasMatch ^/csweb(?:/(?:de|en|fr|ja|ko|ru))?(/.*)?$
> "/stage/webpages/csweb$1"
>

> <Directory "/stage/webpages/csweb">
> Options Indexes
> AllowOverride None
> Order allow,deny
> Allow from all
> </Directory>
>

> I restarted apache (service httpd restart) and I go to
> "http://localhost/csweb" and I get this:

> Forbidden
>

> You don't have permission to access /csweb on this server
----
I was under the impression that httpd would automatically load all conf
files in /etc/httpd/conf.d and such an addition was unnecessary.

httpd runs as user 'apache' and would necessarily have to be able to
descend to the proper folder in this setup.

output of...?
ls -ld /stage /stage/webpages /stage/webpages/csweb

Also, this kind of setup would cause all sorts of problems with selinux
if it's on and would require some chcon adjustments. All of this could
be avoided by simply doing a bind mount of /stage/webpages/csweb to
something in /var/www/html...

mkdir /var/www/html/csweb
mount -o bind /stage/webpages/csweb /var/www/html

and if that works, makes user, selinux happy, then you could permanently
add it to fstab

Craig

believed to be clean.