CIFS unmount fails at shutdown, causing delay...

Eric Holt ericsh at wvcom.net
Tue Apr 7 22:32:28 UTC 2009

Hello all.  I am relatively new to Fedora, but have been very impressed.  It
has replaced Ubuntu as my linux "desktop distro" of choice on both my Laptop
and Desktop machines.

I have a file server in my home, which both the desktop and laptop mount at
bootup via fstab, over the network via the CIFS filesystem.  The mounts work
perfectly on bootup on both machines.  When I log in, I have perfect access
to all my files.

The problem comes with rebooting or shutting down the laptop.  When it gets
to the CIFS stuff, it hangs, and gives an error.  Sometimes it will delay
the shutdown/reboot 30 seconds, other times it delays it about a minute,
while trying to do whatever its trying to do.  The desktop machine does not
exhibit this issue.

The desktop machine is wire-networked, and the laptop is wireless.  My
instinct tells me that something before CIFS is causing the wireless to
disconnect before it gets to the CIFS unmounting, which is why it does not
present as a problem on the desktop machine.  I see NetworkManager shuts
down *after* the CIFS stuff, however.

Anyone have any quick thoughts on how to fix this?  This is really the only
issue I am having with my Fedora install, everything else has been
fantastic.  Oh BTW, this is Fedora 10, 64bit.

Thanks in advance.....
--Eric