Chown ???

Steve Lindemann steve at marmot.org
Wed Apr 8 14:28:09 UTC 2009

Dave Ihnat wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 08, 2009 at 01:11:49PM +0000, g wrote:
>> not to argue a point, but.
>>
>> 'su' is 'substitute user' as you can substitute to *any* 'user' or 'group', not just 'root user'.
>> you are a 'super user' if you you become 'root' or 'adm'.
>
> Bzzzt.  Wrong answer.  Thank you for playing.
>
> I was at BTL in the very early '80s.  Writing kernel mods and drivers
> for Unix, and teaching Unix internals to BTL employees.  It's always been
> "superuser".  I don't know where anyone got this lame "substitute user"
> stuff, but it's not authentic.

...and I've been at this since the 70's and always thought it was
"switch user".  Can't recall where I first picked that up (getting old
and forgetful don't ya know) but if you think about it that's certainly
a more appropriate name for su as it is used to switch from one user to
another, not just to the superuser.
--
Steve Lindemann                         __
Network Administrator                  //\\  ASCII Ribbon Campaign