Chown ???

Dave Ihnat dihnat at dminet.com
Wed Apr 8 14:59:36 UTC 2009

On Wed, Apr 08, 2009 at 02:33:02PM +0000, g wrote:
> then run 'man su' in a linux os and you will find out.

SU(1)                            User Commands                       SU(1)

NAME
       su - change user ID or become superuser

       SYNOPSIS
        su [options] [LOGIN]

	DESCRIPTION
         The su command is used to become another user during a login session.
	 Invoked without a username, su defaults to becoming the superuser.

>From Ubuntu.  I don't care what others may say--I know the conventional
usage at Bell Labs, at least in Naperville, at that time and it was
superuser.  If it started out as something else in v7, it certainly had
changed by System III.

Remember there's been a long history of revisionism at BTL, usually for
political correctness.  When I was working on the Field Test Set (the
first "portable" running Unix--granted, about 50 lbs.--first off a tape,
then off a 5.25" floppy for which I had to write a driver), we had a
"Master" and "Slave" unit.  They wanted us to change the terminology
because it "might be offensive".

In the end, what does it matter?

Cheers,
--