install to usb, when bios does not see usb?

Kam Leo kam.leo at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 19:21:27 UTC 2009

On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 10:26 AM, jackson byers <byersjab at gmail.com> wrote:
> Please bear with me on this newbie question,
> my install experience is quite limited.
>
> Is it possible to install to usb external disk when bios does not see usb?

[snip]

> thanks for any help
> Jack

You have two problems to overcome:

1. You cannot directly boot from a USB device if the BIOS does not
support that feature.
    Worth a try to see if there is a BIOS upgrade for your system that
allows booting from USB. (Highly unlikely.)

2. A device driver needs to be loaded in order to access the device.
   The driver and boot manager need to be installed on an accessible
device such as a floppy disk, CD/DVD, or hard drive.

Time to upgrade to new system or get a USB add-in card with BIOS extension.