sudo and privoxy

Beartooth Beartooth at comcast.net
Wed Apr 8 21:16:51 UTC 2009

On Wed, 08 Apr 2009 14:37:52 -0600, Frank Cox wrote:
	[....]
> Add this to /etc/sudoers (using visudo)

	Aaarrghghgh. All I know about vi is how to spell it, and I'm not
always too sure of that. Nor does the man page for visudo look any
friendlier.

	It let me open it with nano -w; but sure enough, there it stands,
bold as brass, big as life, and twice as ornery : "## This file must be
edited with the 'visudo' command." Methinks I am undone.

> username        ALL=NOPASSWD: /sbin/service privoxy restart
>
> Substitute the name of the user that you want to give this permission to
> for "username" in the above line.
>
> Now he/she can simply type "/sbin/service privoxy restart" at a
> commandline (or you can even hang it on an icon) and restart privoxy.

	I did try :

[root at Hbsk2 etc]# nano -w sudoers
[root at Hbsk2 etc]#

and added the line onto the bottom; but then I got :

[tslg at Hbsk2 ~]$ /sbin/service privoxy restart
Can't find /usr/sbin/privoxy, exit.
[tslg at Hbsk2 ~]$

	I'm a little surprised that Fedora added /usr in there; she can
do /sbin/ifconfig perfectly well ...

	Learning vi is one of the things that's been daunting me, lo!,
these dozen years or more ....