Chown ???

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Wed Apr 8 23:22:42 UTC 2009

Rick Stevens wrote:
> Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>> Jim wrote:

>>> ASR33 on  a Altair, that far back, You must be at least 100,  I started
>>> out on a RCA 1802 8 bit and I still have it.
>>> I modified it to work on S100 bus so I could get more memory , 64k , man
>>> you were top dog with that kind of memory.
>>>
>> Maybe he was talking about an Altair 8008. Intel 8080 processor,
>> S-100 bus, front panel with status and data LEDs. Address/data
>> toggle switches, and a few control toggles.
>
> No, an Altair 8800 (from MITS...Micro Instrumentation Telemetry
> Systems).  IMSAI had the IMSAI 8080 (from IMS Associates, Inc.).  Bet
> you didn't know the actual names of the companies, did ya?  :-)

I did at one time, but my memory isn't as good as it used to be. (At
one time, I could even toggle in the paper tape loader in binary
from memory.)

> The Altair's front panel was set up with toggle switches in an octal
> (3-switch gang) format on a metal front panel.  The IMSAI had   paddle-
> style switches (a'la PDP-11s) in a hex (4-switch gang) format on a
> Plexiglass front panel.  I had both machines, along with a Processor
> Tech SOL-20 and a PolyMorphic Systems' Poly-88

The kit I had had SPST toggle switches for data/addresses. The lower
8 address switches were also used for entering 8 bit data. Things
like deposit/deposit next were SPDT center off spring-loaded
toggles. The If I remember right, the run/stop/step was
spring-loaded for step, but not for run. There were LEDs for data,
address, and status. The front panel was tied into the S-100
backplane. The CPU had its own S-100 card. The memory was another
S-100 card, and I/O was a third card.

> They all had Intel 8080 or 8080A CPUs (well, the SOL-20 had an AMD
> 9080).  All were S-100 bus format.  The Altair had an 18-slot
> motherboard (in separate 4-slot chunks you had to jumper together with
> INDIVIDUAL wires), the IMSAI had a single, 22-slot motherboard.  The
> Poly-88 had a single 6-slot motherboard, the SOL-20 had a 4-slot
> expansion S-100 expansion bus (the CPU and all I/O were on the main
> board, similar to what we have now).  All of them were kits (I melted a
> HELL of a lot of solder back in those days).
>
>> Toggle in the paper tape loader in binary. Then load the system
>> monitor/program from paper tape. I remember loading an assembler
>> from paper tape, and then feeding the program source from another tape.
>
> I had several different EPROM boards with primitive monitor programs
> (think the old ODT program on DEC PDP-11s)

At that time, EPROMs and EPROM programmers were beyond my budget. It
was all I could do to afford the 4k memory card. (That changed
later...)

Mikkel