KDE: Plasma not starting

Anne Wilson annew at kde.org
Thu Apr 9 07:23:56 UTC 2009

On Thursday 09 April 2009 03:18:56 Kelly Miller wrote:
> For some reason, this laptop I installed Fedora 10 on doesn't seem to want
> to run Plasma from KDE4.  It ran Plasma fine under Fedora 9, and every
> other KDE program runs fine on it, but Plasma just hangs.  I tried deleting
> the settings folder for KDE and reloading, but that didn't work.  It's not
> an Xorg problem because Gnome runs fine, and KDM runs fine.  I'm looking
> for help in figuring out what the problem might be so I can fix it and get
> KDE running (the person in question specifically asked for KDE4, so please
> no "Just use (alternative desktop X) responses...").

Try removing the config files, which will be replaced automatically -
~/.kde/share/config/plasmarc and plasma-appletsrc.  With any luck a clean
start is all you need.

The only other thing I can think of is whether there is a problem with your
video card, in that KDE4 stresses some parts of video drivers that are not
used in other or earlier desktops.  It might be useful, if the above doesn't
work, to tell us which video card you are using.

Anne