plea for tar-1.21

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Apr 9 18:58:31 UTC 2009

On Thursday 09 April 2009, John W. Linville wrote:
>On Thu, Apr 09, 2009 at 01:14:42PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Please, either stabilize the device mapping (BTW, how did you do that when
>> I didn't even reboot?) or give us a version of tar that can cope with it.
>> According to the ChangeLog, it will take 1.21 to do that.
>
>Gene,
>
>Did you open a bug at bugzilla.redhat.com for this update?
>
>tar-1.22 is in F-11.  It should be no problem to get a version in F-10.
>I'll be happy to do it, presuming that the package owner grants me
>sufficient privilege to do so.
>
>John

I may have been premature with this squawk John, both Dustin and I miss-read
the tar ChangeLog, and that option IS in 1.20 unless fedora removed it when
they built it for the rpm in the repos.  Can anyone answer that detail please?

The actions of amanda indicate that the --no-check-device option is being
ignored, and what I'm seeing waddles and quacks exactly like this duck.  And
it started 2 days ago when I let yumex update the device-manager-multipath
package. Or when I installed a newer amanda (not from the rpms, the security
model of amanda is hopelessly broken by the constraints of the rpm packaging)
than the amanda-2.6.2alpha-20090321.  I have now tried 0323 and 0325 with the
same results.  I'll try 0326 next for one run & then put 0321 back in for the
real run tonight.  Every run gives me & Dustin (Zmanda.org) more clues.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)