xorg virtual / panning question

Sharpe, Sam J sam.sharpe+lists.redhat at gmail.com
Fri Apr 10 15:37:09 UTC 2009

2009/4/10 Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com>:
> I am getting no traction on xorg mail list - perhaps I cannot ask in a
> way that makes them answer but the idea is...
>
> Fedora 11 Beta (xrandr 1.3 - yeah!)
>
> If I manually execute the command...
> xrandr --output LVDS1 --mode 1024x600 --panning 1280x1024
>
> I sort of get what I want...well, the background is tiled but my tiny
> 1024x600 screen becomes usable with panning and I can't understand why I
> can't achieve this simply with xorg.conf.
>
> Can anyone see what changes I need to make?
<snip>

I know very little about this but I was keeping an eye on it for my eeePC 701.

The changelog for Xorg 1.5.99 says:

Matthias Hopf (5):
      randr: Add monitor option "Panning" for initial panning configuration

So that says to me that somewhere in your Xorg.conf Monitor section
you should have a Panning keyword - which you don't have.

Looks like you'll have to dig around in Google though as I haven't
seen any easy source of information about it,

--
Sam