ftree - seg/fault -

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Sat Apr 11 18:09:12 UTC 2009

Bob Goodwin wrote:

> I've been keeping genealogy records in "ftree" for some time but it will
> not run in F-10 it seems.
>
> I can install the RPM [not available in yum]:
>
>    [root at box9 bobg]# rpm -Uvh /home/bobg/apps/ftree-2.0-1-static.i386.rpm
>    Preparing...
> ########################################### [100%]
>       1:ftree
> ########################################### [100%]
>
> But when I try to run it I get an error:
>
>    [bobg at box9 ~]$ ftree
>    Segmentation fault
>
> Just thought I would ask on the chance someone might know what to do
> other than run it on a different distribution.

As someone who has heavily invested in KVM technology, I can tell you that if
the software isn't still actively supported, and you have the hardware to run
KVM (or VMware) you might find that keeping a nice stable VM around to run that
application is a good thing. You can let the host stay up to date with security.

I assume there isn't a newer ftree around?

> I installed "gramps" and it works but will not accept the ftree.ged
> files which contain later information that I need to keep.  Some earlier
> files work but do not contain the latest data I've entered.

Is there some way you can check that the files don't have some obscure
corruption which causes the problem? Another machine in which you can run the
application, perhaps?

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>