initdefault has no effect

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Mon Apr 13 07:26:49 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-04-12 at 15:30 -0700, Jonathan Ryshpan wrote:
> (1) What am I trying to do?
> Install the proprietary nvidia drivers for my video card.  Nvidia
> advises that the X Window System be stopped during installation.  This
> can be done in either runlevel 1 or 3.  Level 3 is better, but since
> networking is off, it doesn't matter that security is nonexistent.

Generally speaking, it's better NOT to install the drivers supplied by
NVidia themselves, but use ones packaged PROPERLY for Fedora, from one
of the Fedora repos.  None of this malarkey is required, and they don't
mess up X like NVidia does.

Unless you actually have a problem with the Fedora package, I'd strongly
advise that you run away, as fast as you can, from using the run file
that you can download from NVidia.  Set up your computer to use the
rpmfusion repo.

http://rpmfusion.org/Configuration
http://rpmfusion.org/Howto/nVidia

--