F10 guest on CentOS 5.3 host using KVM

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Mon Apr 13 14:29:18 UTC 2009

Jonathan Dieter wrote:
> I'm running CentOS 5.3 on a server with four virtual machines running on
> it, three running CentOS 5.3 and one running Fedora 10.  I have just
> switched over to using KVM (kvm-0.84 and libvirt-0.6.1) rather than Xen
> because I want my F10 virtual machine to be able to use virtio.
>
> My CentOS virtual machines work perfectly, but the F10 virtual machine
> hangs at weird moments, most often in the first few seconds or minutes
> of booting.  All machines are completely up-to-date.  I've tested both
> with and without virtio enabled and have the same result.  Any advice?

I have not had any similar problems running KVM on FC9 (E9400 quad) or FC10
(Athlon dual) running FC6, FC9, Centos-5.[23], XP, FC10, etc guests. I would run
CentOS if I wanted to use xen, and Fedora if I wanted to use (most recent) KVM.

That doesn't constitute "advice" just my observation.

My only complaint is that regardless of host or guest, running from GNOME and
command line (qemu-kvm) with default display (rather than vnc) the mouse pointer
loses focus frequently. Can't find a fix, tried VNC but had an issue with that
which I don't remember. No hungs, however.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>