Firefox 3 hogging 90% CPU, can anything be done about this?

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Mon Apr 13 22:43:37 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-04-13 at 14:56 -0600, Frank Cox wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Apr 2009 13:51:58 -0700
> Hugh Caley wrote:
>
> > Sometime after opening Firefox 3 in Fedora 10 it will start grabbing 90%
> > of the CPU until it is closed again.  I am running FlashBlock but that
> > only seems to delay the time somewhat until the cpu goes to 90%.
> >
> > Is there nothing else that can be done about this?  If Adobe won't fix
> > the problem, don't we have to do something?
>
> What does Adobe have to do with Firefox?
>
> If your problem is with websites that use Flash, then it's a Flash issue, not a
> Firefox issue.  Do you have still the problem when you don't use those
> websites?  What if you remove the Flash plugin from your Firefox installation?
> Does the problem go away?
>
> If your problem is with Flash and not with Firefox, then are you using the
> 32-bit or 64-bit version of Flash?  Does it happen only with the Flash stuff on
> one particular website, or with several?  Do you still see the problem on
> commonly-used Flash sites like youtube?
----
fwiw - I have found the AdobeReader plugin to Firefox far more hostile
than the Flash plugin and the latest versions on i386 seem to be a bit
better behaved. In the past, I have removed the plugin
from /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins (nppdf.so) and found that a much better
solution but you need to repeat that each time you install an
AdobeReader update.

Craig

believed to be clean.