Firefox 3 hogging 90% CPU, can anything be done about this?

Frank Cox theatre at sasktel.net
Mon Apr 13 23:43:19 UTC 2009

On Mon, 13 Apr 2009 16:17:02 -0700
Craig White wrote:

> I rarely go to dead tree format these days so no. If the test were with
> the exact same document and uninstall AR9 and re-install AR8 and
> verifiable, it would be interesting but too many other variables often
> sneak in otherwise.

That's what I did.  Installed acroread 9, printing slowed way down.
Re-installed acroread 8, everything went back to normal.

Google found me a few mentions of (apparently) the Windows acroread 9 doing the
same thing, so I guess it's a common problem.  Meanwhile,  acroread 8 will
continue to live on that machine.  I didn't notice any improvement in acroread
9 that mattered to me, anyway.

It's a HP Laserjet 5100 that we use to create plates for a printing press, so
it gets used a lot and is fairly critical to the printer's business
operations.  Having it slow down that much really held up production.