Firefox 3 hogging 90% CPU, can anything be done about this?

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Tue Apr 14 00:20:39 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-04-13 at 16:26 -0700, Hugh Caley wrote:

> I do definitely get the problem on sites such as youtube; however, I
> also get the problem on sites that don't have any obvious flash content,
> and frankly, I'm not sure which ones at this point.  Flashblock doesn't
> seem to catch all of them.  Still trying to find out.
>
> I think it would be a good thing if Fedora and Mozilla/Firefox talked
> with Adobe about fixing this.
----
just so you understand that Adobe ships Flash (and of course Adobe
Reader and everything else) in what we tend to refer to as a binary blob
and thus only they retain the source code. While some of the Adobe
software might be free in terms of no cost, they aren't free as in open
source and so the only set of eyeballs that ever looks at the program
code is theirs.

The distinction is a very important one. Adobe has sole responsibility
for compatibility as they can download the source code for Mozilla
Firefox and fully understand how to implement their software in Firefox.
The responsibility completely lies with Adobe and if you are unhappy,
you should be complaining to Adobe, not the list. The list might help
you with some workarounds but that's going to be as far as it goes.

The ultimate solution would be to use the open source variants (perhaps
gnash) because then you could participate in the software development.

No one from Fedora or Mozilla software development is going to waste
their time on Adobe proprietary software that they can't even see the
source code to possibly make a knowledgeable suggestion.

Craig

believed to be clean.