Firefox 3 hogging 90% CPU, can anything be done about this?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue Apr 14 21:36:55 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-04-14 at 11:23 -0700, Hugh Caley wrote:
> Proprietary is here; we need to deal with it.

Yes, but because of its nature, we only have few ways to "deal with it".
If we're lucky, it works.  If we're not, it doesn't, and we probably
can't do anything about it (we can only do workarounds if we know how to
use it, even if we don't know how it works, and some things just don't
give you all the information you need).  If we're more unlucky, we can't
do a damn thing about it.

> Now, my own point is that a single Linux user has about zip power to
> influence Adobe.  I think Redhat and to a lesser extent the Mozilla
> organization has a lot more.  There should be direct talks between
> these commercial operations about problems like these, and if there
> have been, it'd be nice to know.

I wouldn't be surprised if Redhat, et al, have tried to deal with closed
source companies.  I also wouldn't be surprised if they don't have a
great deal of luck, either.

> Also, Firefox allows a single bad plugin to make the brower unusable.
> Maybe it shouldn't do that?  Seems to me there's a legitimate argument
> to be made there.

Yes, though you're chatting to the wrong people, now.  That's a Firefox
issue, and you'd need to take it up with them.

Have a look at Google's browser.  Or, since it's not for Linux, have a
look at what they say about their browser:  Tabs run as independent
processes.  One can't crash the other.  You can kill one without
stuffing up the others, etc.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.21-78.2.41.fc9.i686