Goto [Was Re: Chown ???]

Jerry Feldman gaf at blu.org
Tue Apr 14 23:41:19 UTC 2009

On 04/10/2009 11:32 AM, Dave Ihnat wrote:
> The purpose of deprecating use of goto was to avoid the spaghetti code
> that was so prevalent, especially in C.
spaghetti code is not limited to any language. You can write bad,
unreadable code in any computer language. At the time Structured
programming really targeted COBOL which was the primary business
programming language.

Try the following statement in COBOL (sorry for upper case, but that was
all we had):
   ALTER R5RETURN to goto FOO
FOO.

    :
R5RETURN.
    GOTO

I had several COBOL programs that had been converted from IBM assembler
to Burroughs COBOL. What the alter was was essentially an IBM assember
subroutine call using the BALR (Branch and Link Register). I loved it,
the old-time Burroughs programmers hated that code, but I knew IBM
assembler and was not intimidated  by this.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix