ATI radeon Xpress 1270 video forced me to go with simple video

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Wed Apr 15 16:21:16 UTC 2009

Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-04-09 at 21:13 -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>> just unwrapped my spanking new (ok, refurbished) gateway m-1626,
>> with ATI radeon xpress 1270 video, and going with a default install
>> with f11 beta x86_64 results in the install hanging right after:
>>
>>   detecting hardware ...
>>
>> this is entirely reproducible, and all of the text being printed
>> before that ends up shifted to the right on the screen almost 1/2 way
>> across.
>>
>>   eventually selected installing with simple video driver and it got
>> past that point nicely.  just thought i'd mention it.
>
> How does the installed system work, okay? What video driver is it using?

I have a similar issue, my system works booted off the Live CD of a few days
ago, but glxgears run faster with the vesa driver than the default radeondrmfb
it chooses to use. The laptop says it uses a 1250, probably very similar to
yours. If I can find time to try an install to a USB drive I'll try the flgrx
driver, although the fc10 version of that didn't work well.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>