kernel-2.6.29.1-30 doesn't boot

Steve Searle steve at stevesearle.com
Thu Apr 16 21:41:45 UTC 2009

Around 12:58pm on Thursday, April 16, 2009 (UK time), Dan scrawled:

> Just updated the kernel about an hour ago.
>
> Fedora 10 (x86)
> Dell GX240
> VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Rage 128 Pro Ultra TF
>
> When booting it gets as far as "starting anacron" and then I just
> get a black screen with keyboard and mouse frozen.
> Dmesg and boot log offer no hints.

I have had the same problem with my ATI card and the flgrx driver in the
past (stickign at "starting anacron").  Adding nomodeset to the kernel
line on boot up gets past it.  You can change it by adding it in grub on
boot up, and making the change permanent if it works.

Steve

--

(o<     www.stevesearle.com