looking for pre-configured RHat derived server for mail

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Fri Apr 17 20:43:51 UTC 2009

Claude Jones wrote:
> I know there are a number of Redhat/Centos/and even Fedora specialized
> distributions out there that are packaged for server use. Can any one
> recommend any that they've used? We have an aging mail server, Debian
> based, that is failing and need to replace quickly. GUI based would be a
> plus. I am only going to be able to marginally contribute to getting
> this going, but will probably be involved in maintenance. We just need
> to do mail with this machine. I've looked at SME and BlueOnyx so far,
> but, both seem to be command line based. I understand the security
> advantages of not running X but, we'd rather live with that downside and
> have a GUI for various reasons. Your experiences appreciated...

I would run CentOS-5.3, use sendmail, dovecot, spamassasin (as desired). Install
  the firewall to allow only access via mail protocols. Allow ssh if you must.
If you want web admin, don't run X on the server, ssh in with the -X option, and
just run the X application on the server displaying to X on the client.

You don't say how large your load might be, but a decent x86 server should
handle thousands of users easily with proper disk.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>