Monitor instantly sleeps

Frank Cox theatre at sasktel.net
Sun Apr 19 06:54:17 UTC 2009

On Sun, 19 Apr 2009 12:29:21 +0600
Adeel Akbar wrote:

> Sir, When I start my computer after boot loader a strips in bottom that
> shows fedora 10 and after that my computer goes to sleep. I checked after
> escape this strip its shows services and when it's come anacorn service its
> hanged. Its not third party services its built-in service which installed
> with Fedora 10.

You actually mean anacron?  How do you see that it's anacron that's hung up
after your computer goes to sleep?  In other words, what steps do you take to
make your computer not be sleeping so you can see what is happening and can
determine that anacron has not started?

It's my understanding that when you boot into runlevel 3 then the computer boots
normally and you get the Login: prompt so you can enter your username and
password and get a regular bash prompt, right?

What happens if you then type startx at the bash prompt?  Does your computer
immediately go to sleep again?

What do you see in /var/log/Xorg.0.log ?  Are there any interesting error
messages?

What video card and monitor are you using?  Is the issue here perhaps that your
video card is putting out a higher-resolution image than your monitor can
handle?  For example, some older monitors can display only 800x600 screen
resolution.  If you send them a 1024x768 or higher resolution signal, the
display will be blank, partial, or distorted.

Incidentally, please desist with top-posting your replies.  Either post your
answers to these questions in-line (put your answer immediately after each
question) or put your answers at the bottom of your reply, not at the top.

I recommend that you put your answers in-line because that way you won't miss
any and can be sure that you are providing the information that may allow us
to assist you with your problem.