ssh problem

Dave Feustel dfeustel at mindspring.com
Mon Apr 20 15:07:30 UTC 2009

On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 03:49:45PM +0100, Steve Searle wrote:
> Around 03:44pm on Monday, April 20, 2009 (UK time), Dave Feustel scrawled:
>
> > I am trying to set up ssh for use on my local network.
> > When I try to access f9 with ssh from suse, the connection is refused.
> > When I try to access suse with ssh from f9, ssh hangs.
> > AFICT, all other ssh invocations on both f9 and suse succeed.
> > Is ssh being blocked by a problem with the f9 firewall?
> > How can I check?
>
> Easiest way would be to stop the firewall service temporarily and try
> it.
>
> # service iptables stop
>
> Test it then restart the firewall.
>
> # service iptables start
>
> Steve

Tried it, but stopping iptables made no difference.

 2/home/daf}su
Password:
 2/home/daf}service iptables stop
iptables: Flushing firewall rules:                         [  OK  ]
iptables: Setting chains to policy ACCEPT: filter          [  OK  ]
iptables: Unloading modules:                               [  OK  ]
 2/home/daf}ssh -l dave $C4
^C 2/home/daf} #still hangs