selinux and per-user web directories

Arthur Pemberton pemboa at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 00:34:55 UTC 2009

On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 7:13 PM, anonymous <bitskrieg at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sorry folks, my fault.
> The logs did show that there was an .htaccess file I was unaware of in the
> directory.
> I went ahead and set AllowOverride to ALL, please tell me if this is a bad
> thing.
>

>> No, if you're using paths other than the apache default, you have to
>> use the system-config-selinux tool to tell Selinux about it.
>>
> I went back used semanage as per the fedora selinux manual.
>
> /usr/sbin/semanage fcontext -a -t httpd_sys_content_t "/web(/.*)?"
> /sbin/restorecon -R -v /web
>
> Thanks for the suggestions.
>
> BTW, this seems like an awful lot to accomplish what I would think is a
> common task.
> Isn't it normal to need a per-user web directory?

No not really... but that depends on who you're referring to. For
people like yourself and I, that's pretty normal.

For everyone else that would be the set of people that user linux, use
apache, have user accounts on their apache box,  and want their users
to have person web spaces that are actually on the filesystem as
opposed to in a blog. That's a quickly shrinking number.

> Or is there some other
> easier way like changing the permissions for a directory in the server root?

Directories in /var/www and /home/*/public_html would have been ready.
But you, like myself, used a dir name other than public_html.

--
Fedora 9 : sulphur is good for the skin
( www.pembo13.com )