F10 + Xfce: since yum update, File Manager (Thunar) freezes system....

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Tue Apr 21 03:41:41 UTC 2009

On Mon, 20 Apr 2009 17:52:18 -0700 (PDT)
Rob <spamrefuse at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm using up-to-date version of Fedora 10.
>
> Ever since I have updated around April 19th or so, Thunar
> (the file manager of Xfce) grinds the system to a stand still.
> Nothing works anymore (even remote login in impossible)
> and I have to power down/up to reboot.

Anything about the lockup in /var/log/messages?
/var/log/Xorg.0.log ?

> This happens on two very different PCs of mine, so I'm
> sure this is software related.
> Since I did not notice this behaviour before, I tend to
> believe that it has to do with a recent update.
>
> This is very bad. I wouldn't mind if Thunar itself crashes,
> but bringing the whole OS down is too dramatic and
> I suspect some underlying library support to be the culprit.
>
> Anybody else sees this?

I've seen one other report of it on the xfce list, but that was you
reporting it there as well. ;)

No bug reports that I know of, reports on irc, or forum posts.

> Any idea what is the reason for this?

No idea off hand. Thunar shouldn't lock up machines. It's a file
manager.

Try checking the above logs and see if you can see any errors that
might show whats going on?

> Thanks,
> Rob.

kevin