Wireless Woes

Seann Clark nombrandue at tsukinokage.net
Tue Apr 21 14:23:26 UTC 2009

psmith wrote:
> Seann Clark wrote:
>> Kevin Kofler wrote:

>>> Try using NetworkManager. You'll want NetworkManager-gnome for the
>>> GUI part
>>> too (even if you aren't using GNOME - a KDE 4 Plasma applet is under
>>> development, but at this point I can't really recommend it and we
>>> aren't
>>> installing it by default); in its default configuration, NetworkManager
>>> doesn't do all that much for wireless devices without a GUI.
>>>
>>>         Kevin Kofler
>>>

>> I tried NM, and it configured everything else, I just can't get/find
>> the wireless card driver in the list, and it doesn't see the wireless
>> card even when the module is loaded.
>>

>> ~Seann
> on what type of machine is this happening? and what type of wireless
> card?
>
> phil

*O/s: Fedora 10
Kernel:  2.6.27.5-117.fc10.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue Nov 18 11:58:53 EST 2008
x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
Wireless NIC: Linksys* USB Wireless Adapter - WUSB54GC
Memory: 2GB DDR2 667
MotherBoard:  Intel D945GCLF2 Mini-ITX Motherboard
CPU: Intel Atom 330 2x 1.6Ghz (Silverthorne 45nm)
Chipset: Intel 82945G (ICH7)
Graphics: Intel GMA 950
Sound: Realtek High Definition Audio
Ethernet(copper) NIC driver:  r8169 Realtek 8169 gigabit ethernet

USB Major information dealing with the WUSB54GC:
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 1737:0077 Linksys
Device Descriptor:
  bLength                18
  bDescriptorType         1
  bcdUSB               2.00
  bDeviceSubClass         0
  bDeviceProtocol         0
  bMaxPacketSize0        64
  idVendor           0x1737 Linksys
  idProduct          0x0077
  bcdDevice            1.01
  iManufacturer           1 Ralink
  iProduct                2 802.11 g WLAN
  iSerial                 3 1.0

I hope this is enough information, and will help me with this, as such I
have seen other distributions like Ubuntu working with this particular
USB stick(Google turns up a large resource, and it was using ndiswrapper
on the windows drivers where I found the chipset for the NIC).

~Seann