Fedora 9 and Suse 11.0 ssh do not work together

Todd Denniston Todd.Denniston at ssa.crane.navy.mil
Tue Apr 21 15:28:43 UTC 2009

Dave Feustel wrote, On 04/20/2009 06:32 PM:
> I am running 32-bit fedora 9 and 64-bit Suse 11.0 and 64-bit OpenBSD 4.4
> on a local net. Ssh does not work between F9 and Suse 11.0. Ssh
> from f9 to Suse times out. An ssh connection from Suse to F9 is refused
> by F9. Ssh from F9 to OpenBSD works. Ssh from OpenBSD to Suse times out
> at login. SSh from OpenBSD to F9 is denied (publickey,gssapi-with-mic).
>
> I was surprised that these 3 system do not talk to each other with their
> default config files. Is there a common set of config files with which
> all ssh connections work?
>
> Thanks.

Is there a firewall installed on the SUSE machine?
Is the firewall setup to pass SSH?

Are you sure you get "(publickey,gssapi-with-mic)" when going from BSD to F9?
Because this message would indicate that you are not using the "default config
file" on F9, it would also indicate that the F9 firewall is not blocking
incoming SSH connections, but you should be getting the same message when
going from SUSE to F9.

BTW (publickey,gssapi-with-mic) means that the sshd on the machine being
connected TO has been configured to only allow connections authenticated with
one of publickey or gssapi-with-mic methods.

Also by default Fedora, and probably other distros, usually setup their
firewalls to block connections to all privileged ports and allow the
administrator to pick which ports they want to have open, so the install is
more secure from the start.

--
Todd Denniston