How to speed up refresh for remote X11 displays via ssh

Tom Horsley tom.horsley at att.net
Tue Apr 21 17:42:27 UTC 2009

On Tue, 21 Apr 2009 13:09:50 -0400
Dave Feustel wrote:

> I now have X11 via ssh working on F9, but refresh of the remote X11
> window is extremely slow, even over a 1GB switch.  Is there a way to
> speed up the refresh?

This is a local area network? I've only ever noticed human perceptible
X speed problems on a lan if the network equipment was faulty and
dropping packets and retrying like crazy (or if the app is trying to
do something like software-only open GL over the network).

For long distance high latency connections, I use freenx which gives
every indication that it employs magic to speed things up :-).