CPU freq & core temp

g geleem at bellsouth.net
Wed Apr 22 06:48:17 UTC 2009

DJ Delorie wrote:

> It's a pre-built DELL box, no overclocking.  When all four cores are
> running at full speed (3.16MHz) for extended periods, the temp gets up
> around 85 C and the fans all speed up.  I'd rather keep it cooler than
> that.  One way is to reduce the clock speed.  Another way is to dust
> the fans off, which I'll also be doing :-)
>
> g <geleem at bellsouth.net> writes:
>> anyway, iirc, lm-sensors must be running to see cpu temp and in turn
>> 'scale' cpu speed. [iirc]
>
> I have a valid lm-sensors config ("sensors" tells me the four core
> temps). I have /sys/devices/platform/coretemp.* and they tell me the
> right core temps.
>
> The question is, how do I connect the core temp readings to the cpu
> frequency control?  The old userspace cpufreq had command line options
> for doing that.

look for program 'cpuspeed'. it was available in fc3, fc6, fc7, fc8.
not sure if it is available for f9, f10, but i imagine source is still
around in archives or koji.

use this google link for linux advanced search;

http://www.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en&output=linux&restrict=linux

--

peace out.

tc,hago.

.

****
**
help microsoft stamp out piracy - give linux to a friend today
**
to mess up a linux box, you need to work at it;
to mess up an ms windows box, you just need to *look at* it.
**
learn linux:
'HowtoForge' http://howtoforge.com/
****