Remote administration of FC 10 headless servers.

Wendell Nichols wcn00 at shaw.ca
Wed Apr 22 16:38:03 UTC 2009

Mark Haney wrote:
> Wendell Nichols wrote:
>
>> I just installed FC10 on my home server.  I access it via xrdp.  The
>> first time I tried to install some packages via the graphical package
>> manager it told me that I was not using a local console, and exited.
>> This machine doesn't have a console!  How are we supposed to administer
>> headless servers?
>> wcn
>>

> And on a side note, you can also use vnc to do GUI type things like
> installing apps and updates as well.  I do recommend though that you
> learn the command line, at least /some/ of it. You'll find it's much
> faster to do things and things can be done from the CLI on slow (ie
> mobile phone, dial-up) links that would kill a remote GUI program.

I'm completely command line competent :)
I just don't like that they went out of their way to prohibit something
that we've been doing for years and makes perfectly good sense.  There
is essentially no difference in terms of exposure to session loss etc
between an ssh session and a vnc or xrdp session.   Except that it is
more convenient which is what gui is all about.
cest la vie...
wcn