Remote administration of FC 10 headless servers.

Michael D. Setzer II mikes at kuentos.guam.net
Wed Apr 22 21:12:05 UTC 2009

On 22 Apr 2009 at 13:52, Steve Ellis wrote:

Date sent:      	Wed, 22 Apr 2009 13:52:24 -0700
From:           	Steve Ellis <ellis at brouhaha.com>
To:             	"Community assistance, encouragement,
	and advice for using Fedora." <fedora-list at redhat.com>
Subject:        	Re: Remote administration of FC 10 headless servers.
Send reply to:  	"Community assistance, encouragement,
	and advice for using Fedora." <fedora-list at redhat.com>
	and advice for using Fedora." <fedora-list.redhat.com>
	<mailto:fedora-list-
request at redhat.com?subject=unsubscribe>
	<mailto:fedora-list-
request at redhat.com?subject=subscribe>

> Mark Haney wrote:
> > Tim Waugh wrote:

> >> No, this hasn't worked for me on Fedora 10 for a while (yes, bugzilla
> >> report filed).
> >>
> >> Is it actually working for you?  Are you using the 'vncserver'
> >> initscript to start the VNC session?
> >>
> >> Tim.
> >> */
> >>

> > Yes and yes.  It works perfectly for me.  I've had no trouble at all.
> >

> Like Tim and unlike Mark, I also have trouble with this--I believe this
> is a selinux-enabled problem with respect to PackageKit/PolicyKit and
> VNC sessions, at least based on the googling that I've been able to do.
> I've tried changing policy from my actual console (which is
> inconveniently 7 feet off the ground in the garage), but have thus far
> been unable to have much luck--I haven't tried completely wide-open
> policies though.  I did install yumex for finding installables,
> however.   I use 'yum update' from the command line for regular updating.
>
> -se

You do have to open up the port in the firewall.
system-config-firewall
other ports
Click Add
Enter port 5900 + port you use for server
Example:
vncserver :50
Add port 5950 TCP

> --

  Guam Community College  Computer Center
  mailto:mikes at kuentos.guam.net
  mailto:msetzerii at gmail.com
  http://www.guam.net/home/mikes
  Guam - Where America's Day Begins

Number of Seti Units Returned:  19,471
(Total Hours: 287,489)

BOINC at HOME CREDITS
SETI 7,671,635.2685 | EINSTEIN 2,465,893.2309 | ROSETTA
873,793.3373