Remote administration of FC 10 headless servers.

Steve Ellis ellis at brouhaha.com
Wed Apr 22 21:47:16 UTC 2009

Michael D. Setzer II wrote:
> On 22 Apr 2009 at 13:52, Steve Ellis wrote:
>

>> Like Tim and unlike Mark, I also have trouble with this--I believe this
>> is a selinux-enabled problem with respect to PackageKit/PolicyKit and
>> VNC sessions, at least based on the googling that I've been able to do.
>> I've tried changing policy from my actual console (which is
>> inconveniently 7 feet off the ground in the garage), but have thus far
>> been unable to have much luck--I haven't tried completely wide-open
>> policies though.  I did install yumex for finding installables,
>> however.   I use 'yum update' from the command line for regular updating.
>>
>> -se
>>

> You do have to open up the port in the firewall.
> system-config-firewall
> other ports
> Click Add
> Enter port 5900 + port you use for server
> Example:
> vncserver :50
> Add port 5950 TCP

Thanks for the suggestion, but firewall blocking vnc is not part of my
problem--I have no trouble vnc'ing into my system, I've already opened
the firewall appropriately.  In fact, I'm vnc'ed into my system over an
ssh tunnel from my office right now.  The problem I (and likely Tim) hit
manifests as a dialog box when running
"System->Administration->Add/Remove Software" that says:

"Package installer is running when the session is not active
These applications should be run only when on active console.
This normally indicates a bug with your remote desktop implementation."

However, I'm now thinking it may not have anything to do with selinux,
as I see that I switched to Permissive mode--I don't recall when I did
that, but I'm guessing it was before my vnc session was last restarted.
In my copious free time I'll climb back up on my step ladder and try to
tweak the settings in "System->Preferences->System->Authorizations"
further to see if I can get anywhere.

-se