Lost Files

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Fri Apr 24 07:01:22 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-04-24 at 08:35 +0200, jolmstead wrote:
> and my lack of expertise my wife wanted me to move all of her
> OpenOffice.org files from the Linux operating system to Vista.  So I
> thought I could just move everything from her home directory to
> the /media/disk directory and all would be good.

You're going to have to say what /media/disk refers to.  A plugged in
hard drive, flash drive, or some internal drive.

The /media directory is used to mount removable/temporary media in, with
the mounted media becoming a sub-directory inside it.  e.g. If I plugged
in a USB flash drive, it might be /media/usbdisk.  With some media is
not written to until you unmount it, at that point the contents are
written, *then* it is actually unmounted.  If you interrupt that
process, the files aren't written.

If you create a directory inside /media when there isn't actually any
media mounted in there, or using a name that's different from any
mounted media, you've just created an ordinary directory inside /media
on the file tree.  Any files inside it will still be there.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.21-78.2.41.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.