annoying domain.local issue

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Mon Apr 27 17:27:00 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-04-27 at 17:20 +0200, Valent Turkovic wrote:
> Do you have any issues when domain ends with dot local (.local) ?
>
> How can I troubleshoot this more and fix it?
>
> Both Fedora and Windows use the same DNS and same default gateway.

And does that DNS server have an answer for queries to that domain name?
If it does, does it have the right answer?

How domains are resolved is configured in a few places.
The /etc/nsswitch.conf has a hosts section which lists the places to
look up through, in sequence.  Mine has the following in it:

#hosts:     db files nisplus nis dns
hosts:      files dns

("files" being the /etc/hosts file, "dns" being a DHS server.)

Putting a custom entry into your hosts file, for your .local addresses,
ain't gonna help you if it consults a DNS server, first, which says
something different about .local.

That's used for networking, in general.  SMB work independently, it can
also use an lmhosts file (inside the /etc/samba/ directory), or as a
WINS server (an option inside the smb.conf file), as well as DNS.

I'd suggest posting your hosts, nsswitch.conf, resolv.conf and smb.conf
files for others to see what you're doing, rather than guess.  Also the
outputs from running nslookup and dig with your problem domain name.

i.e. dig samba.domain.local
     nslookup samba.domain.local

If you're bodging up faux domain names, you might have to fiddle quite a
few things to get it to work.  I found it easier to run my own domain
name server, with records for local domain names, and have all my local
computers use my domain name server.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.21-78.2.41.fc9.i686