Remooving U3 from USB drive.

Beartooth Beartooth at comcast.net
Mon Apr 27 20:02:23 UTC 2009

On Sun, 26 Apr 2009 07:56:51 -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:

> A question which appeared on fedora-list recently was how to remove U#W
> from a USB drive. I did not see a resolution until the following web
> link:
>
> http://www.u3.com/uninstall

	I've been trying to do that, and have a long thread going at

http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewforum.php?id=1

called "How to wipe thumbdrives??"

	I've tried formatting under XP; under Gparted; under QTparted;
and going as root to a mounted one and using rm & rmdir. *Some* of my
thumbdrives now *seem* to be clear; and several do function as bootable
media with other distros.

	Since those bootable drives are my chief current concern, I
haven't been nearly so meticulous about tracking what I've done with
which as I might; but i *think* I've picked up a joker in the deck.

	Afaict (and I mean what my .sig says), a given Fedora app may or
may not always see this U3 foulness when looking at a given thumbdrive.
Often Fedora will tell me a drive is empty, but show a pie chart with
less than 100% available space -- and an open folder with ostensibly no
contents.

	There is one post in that thread with a technique using dd; I
haven't tried it yet, but probably will.

	In particular, I've two or three times downloaded that .exe and
installed it under Wine. When launched, it asks me to insert a drive --
whether or not I already have -- and then does nothing, and offers
nothing.

	If I could find non SanDisk Cruzer thumbdrives here, I'd never
buy another.