PCSCD failure

Todd Denniston Todd.Denniston at ssa.crane.navy.mil
Mon Apr 27 21:34:52 UTC 2009

john wendel wrote, On 04/24/2009 11:11 AM:

> I'm trying to use a smart card reader, without any luck. I've installed
> pcscd and whatever else yum pilled in and have 2 new services running
> (pcscd and ???). The system log shows the following failure to setup the
> device. I'm stuck.
>
> Any clues appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> John
>
> Apr 22 13:50:58 Godzilla1 pcscd: pcscdaemon.c:498:main() pcsc-lite
> 1.4.102 daemon ready.
> Apr 22 13:50:59 Godzilla1 pcscd: hotplug_libhal.c:342:HPAddDevice()
> Adding USB device: usb_device_9c3_8_50108525_if0
> Apr 22 13:51:00 Godzilla1 pcscd:
> readerfactory.c:1082:RFInitializeReader() Attempting startup of
> ActivCard USB Reader 2.0 00 00 using
> /usr/lib/pcsc/drivers/ifd-ccid.bundle/Contents/Linux/libccid.so

it looks like you have a ActivCard USB Reader V2,
http://pcsclite.alioth.debian.org/iManufacturer.html
with usb product id 0x0008
http://pcsclite.alioth.debian.org/unsupported.html#0x09C30x0008

Some folks have had luck upgrading the firmware on SOME instances of that
hardware with the latest firmware from SCM for the SCR-331.
see http://lists.drizzle.com/pipermail/muscle/
If it works then you now have a reader that acts like a
http://pcsclite.alioth.debian.org/supported.html#0x04E60xE001

if it don't work I suspect you have a very light paperweight at the end, and
then again, that is pretty much what you got now.

Before buying later I would suggest looking more at the pcsclite lists:
http://pcsclite.alioth.debian.org/supported.html
http://pcsclite.alioth.debian.org/section.html

Good luck.
--