Question about upgrading Fedora (from fc6 to FC10)

Denis BUCHER dbucherml at hsolutions.ch
Tue Apr 28 10:11:49 UTC 2009

Hello,

I am quite new to Fedora. One of our server is installed with fc6 and I
see there are no updates anymore, which leads me to many questions :

1. Is there a place to find the packages to be able to have our server
installed with the latest FC6 updates ?

2. Can I upgrade "live" or should I use the CDROM ? What is the best ?

I read that "The recommended installation method is with a boot media
with the Anaconda installer as detailed in the Installation Guide
<http://docs.fedoraproject.org/install-guide/>. PreUpgrade
<http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PreUpgrade> is a slightly different
upgrade method where the all packages are downloaded before the system
is rebooted into the Anaconda installer. "

If that's true, can I thrust it at100% to make the server work, or are
there some changes in config that could not be solved ?

What do you suggest ? Simply backup /etc ?

3. Whatever solution I choose, is it better to upgrade fc6 -> FC10 or 6
-> 7 -> 8 -> 9 -> 10 ?

Thanks a lot in advance for your help,

Denis

P.S. I already read this website :
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/YumUpgradeFaq

Denis Bucher

--

Denis Bucher   Horus Digital Solutions sàrl  Each problem has a solution