annoying domain.local issue

Valent Turkovic valent.turkovic at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 12:31:36 UTC 2009

First I would like to thank you for really nice ane helpfull email.

On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 7:27 PM, Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-04-27 at 17:20 +0200, Valent Turkovic wrote:
>> Do you have any issues when domain ends with dot local (.local) ?
>>
>> How can I troubleshoot this more and fix it?
>>
>> Both Fedora and Windows use the same DNS and same default gateway.
>
> And does that DNS server have an answer for queries to that domain name?
> If it does, does it have the right answer?

ping doesn't work from Fedora;

# ping web.iskon.local
ping: unknown host web.iskon.local

# ping samba.iskon.local
ping: unknown host web.iskon.local

> How domains are resolved is configured in a few places.
> The /etc/nsswitch.conf has a hosts section which lists the places to
> look up through, in sequence.  Mine has the following in it:
>
> #hosts:     db files nisplus nis dns
> hosts:      files dns
>
> ("files" being the /etc/hosts file, "dns" being a DHS server.)
>
> Putting a custom entry into your hosts file, for your .local addresses,
> ain't gonna help you if it consults a DNS server, first, which says
> something different about .local.
>
> That's used for networking, in general.  SMB work independently, it can
> also use an lmhosts file (inside the /etc/samba/ directory), or as a
> WINS server (an option inside the smb.conf file), as well as DNS.
>
> I'd suggest posting your hosts, nsswitch.conf, resolv.conf and smb.conf
> files for others to see what you're doing, rather than guess.  Also the
> outputs from running nslookup and dig with your problem domain name.

Here is mine nsswitch.conf :
http://fpaste.org/paste/10360

hosts :
http://fpaste.org/paste/10361

resolv.conf :
http://fpaste.org/paste/10362

> i.e. dig samba.domain.local
>     nslookup samba.domain.local

$ dig web.domain.local

; <<>> DiG 9.5.1-P2-RedHat-9.5.1-2.P2.fc10 <<>> web.domain.local
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;web.domain.local.		IN	A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
web.domain.local.	1200	IN	A	10.0.0.18

;; Query time: 5 msec
;; SERVER: 10.0.0.6#53(10.0.0.6)
;; WHEN: Tue Apr 28 14:18:17 2009
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 49

$ nslookup web.domain.local
Server:		10.0.0.6
Address:	10.0.0.6#53

Name:	web.domain.local
Address: 10.0.0.18

$ host 10.0.0.18
28.0.0.10.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer web.domain.local.

But I can't ping web.domain.local :(

And typing http://web.domain.local in Firefox doesn't open the web
page, but typing IP it does. If I type 10.0.0.8 in Firefox I get the
home page.

As I mentioned I also have Winwdows in VirtualBox VM and there
everything works ok - ping works and also Firefox opens
web.domain.local without problems.

> If you're bodging up faux domain names, you might have to fiddle quite a
> few things to get it to work.  I found it easier to run my own domain
> name server, with records for local domain names, and have all my local
> computers use my domain name server.

When I enter in my hosts file this line:
10.0.0.18    web.domain.local

then I can ping the web server from my Fedora laptop... any ideas?

--
http://kernelreloaded.blog385.com/
ICQ: 2125241, Skype: valent.turkovic