nVidia vs. ATI graphics card for fedora

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Tue Apr 28 23:55:33 UTC 2009

Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> I am using a FireGL 3400 at work and it is working well with F11 (right
> now). There have been points during this rawhide when it didn't, but it
> looks like but KMS and 3D will be working for the release (as they are
> right now).

WARNING: This is only true for the V3400 (which is an rv530, equivalent to
the Radeon X1600), not the V3600 the OP was considering buying (which is an
rv630, equivalent to the Radeon HD2600). The V3600 does NOT have 3D support
without proprietary drivers. See http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/ATIRadeon
for details.

> If you use an nVidia card you will need to use the propietary drivers to
> get 3D acceleration.

... which makes them a bad choice for Fedora.

        Kevin Kofler