nVidia vs. ATI graphics card for fedora

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Wed Apr 29 15:41:04 UTC 2009

Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Kevin Kempter wrote:
>> I have a Dell with an Nvidia Quadro FX 3700 and Fedora 10. I get 3d,
>> openGL, desktop effects, dual moniters, the works. All by using the
>> kmod_nvidia package
>
> ... which is not part of Fedora, is not Free Software and in fact doesn't
> have source code available at all for the main portion, thus making it
> impossible for anybody other than nVidia to fix any issues with it. And
> there have been plenty of those issues, and there will undoubtedly be more
> in the future.
>
> It is completely counterproductive to recommend hardware requiring
> proprietary drivers. Those drivers are NOT SUPPORTED in Fedora, if there's
> any issue with them, you're on your own (we'll close the bugs CANTFIX as
> there's really nothing we can do to fix them, see the first paragraph).
>
>         Kevin Kofler

But until there are good open source drivers that support full 3D, there
are not many options out there.  Thank copyrights and patent laws for
making it so hard to produce open source drivers.

Without support for 3D, many users wouldn't touch Linux.  I know that I
wouldn't be able to use Linux at home and I would be stuck with either
Windows or Macs which my family don't like.

As for the CANTFIX, I don't argue with that as it is impossible to know
what the problems are.  It would be better to explain to the filers to
submit the bugs to the manufacturer.  Of course it is hard to find bugs
in certain software without 3D support.  You can end up with a catch 22
condition.

--
Robin Laing