Speaking of language support...

Veli-Pekka Kestilä fedora at guagua.fi
Mon Aug 3 15:04:20 UTC 2009

Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Mon, 03 Aug 2009 16:22:42 +0300
> Veli-Pekka Kestilä wrote:
>

>> What's wrong with you people?
>>

> I don't think it is dangerous, I just wonder what the heck
> the anaconda installer is asking about languages for
> when it seems to install a gazillion language related
> things anyway.
>
> It seems kind of like not checking the "software development"
> group, but then finding eclipse, g++, fortran, and gnat
> on my system :-).

Well, you do get for example  python without asking it, so it kind of
happens for programmin tools too, maybe there is some more examples of
getting dev stuff without asking. I remember that atleast perl came by
default in RH(x) distributions before. :-) And I don't think those are
really slimmed down versions for just running stuff as people have
better things to do than making multiple packages for same program.

I think it's better for software and linux especially if language
support get's better. And for that you sometimes need to have things
like fonts which have more letters than just 7-bit ASCII .

It's actually really annoying that still I end up finding websites, and
software which doesn't work well with anything that is more diverse than
7-bit ASCII, for example I have many times had to try to get around
stupid name checkers which don't allow '-' and 'ä' in peoples or places
names and so on. So it's really annoying when someone wants less
language compability by default.

-vpk