auto-updates

Anne Wilson annew at kde.org
Sat Aug 8 07:18:22 UTC 2009

On Saturday 08 August 2009 03:55:09 Tim wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-08-07 at 12:29 -0400, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> > I see your point, but when you're at the mercy of the mirror providing
> > the data, any estimate of time is difficult at best.
>
> Having some idea is better than no idea.  Is one going to wait seconds,
> minutes, or hours?  You can then decide what to do, postpone it, or do
> it now.

Having seen this thread, last evening I did the update from the notifier.  I
saw a progress bar, and when it was on 5% for some considerable time I knew
there was no point in sitting and watching it.  It's rough and ready, yes, but
if it is on 5% for two minutes or more you can guarantee that it's going to be
a long job.

Anne