Boot fails at blinking cursor, upper left corner, after FC11 update

Philip Greer emittim3 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 10 04:54:05 UTC 2009

All:
I've just updated my FC11 install on my lenovo T60 laptop. Now when the
laptop boots, just after the lenovo splash screen, when it attempts to
boot from the sda drive (sata internal drive) it hangs with a blinking
underline cursor in the upper left hand corner of the screen. All key
strokes after that point result in no response, until the buffer is full
and key strokes cause the system to beep at each key stroke.

I've tried booting off the rescue DVD, which does allow me to see the
installed system. The latest kernel is
vmlinuz-2.6.29.6-217.2.3.fc11.i586 and the init ramdisk
(initrd-2.6.29.6-217.2.3.fc11.i586.img) was updated with the software
update that I had just performed (today's date and timestamp).

Changing the grub.conf file to no longer have a splash image, have a
timeout of 30 seconds instead of 0 and commenting out 'hiddenmenu'
results in no changes, still getting the upper left blinking underline
cursor, so I can't even get into a grub boot prompt when booting off the
hard drive.

What are some initial troubleshooting actions that I should attempt?
Suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
--