why root to set default desktop background?

Mike Wright mike.wright at mailinator.com
Tue Aug 11 17:38:07 UTC 2009

Todd Zullinger wrote:
> Mike Wright wrote:
>> This sure seems ridiculous to me.
>>
>> I changed my desktop background.  No problem.  But when I chose
>> "Make Default" I was notified that takes super user permissions.
>> What the heck is that about?
>>
>> This is the user.  This is the user's desktop.
>
> It's not.  The 'Make default' button is for making your chosen
> background the system-wide default (the tooltip for the button even
> says this).  So it's not at all unreasonable that this requires root
> privileges.

Thanks for setting me straight on that.

Feeling a little crabby today.  When I went to my desk this am I found
my fonts had all changed overnight... to 6pt.  Couldn't even read my
mail with 2.75 lenses perched on my nose.  Felt like I had a bag over my
head and somebody had rearranged the furniture :(

:m)