pulseaudio - WOW

john wendel jwendel10 at comcast.net
Sat Aug 1 03:32:44 UTC 2009

On 07/31/2009 10:22 AM, Mike Wright wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'd like to share a positive experience with sound on f10.
>
> I'd had issues with the mute button not working (turns out it was, it
> was just muting a different channel than the one I was listening to).
> Once I learned about the different mixers and volume controls it has
> "just worked" for me.
>
> I'm listening to a CD right now and get a popup when each song begins
> that shows the album cover, name and song title. Very nice surprise.
>
> I enjoy international music so I've been using VLC to explore the
> shoutcast feeds and once I find a keeper I add it to Rhythmbox. I tried
> to play one of the stations and got another popup advising me that I was
> missing a particular codec and would I like it to try to find it for me.
> Feeling brave I agreed. That's when I had my WOW moment.
>
> It went exploring and installed some files from a "bad" repository, some
> others for dependencies. When all was said and done it had not only
> installed the missing codec but also quicktime and midi software with
> the midi "font" library.
>
> A quick restart of Rhythmbox and everything just works. I can actually
> listen to VLC, Rhythmbox, and the CD player, all at the same time. I was
> actually listening to the same shoutcast on the two different players,
> with a slight delay between them for a music in-the-round experience.
> Fun stuff.
>
> Having lived with marginal audio experiences on Linux for the last
> decade or so this is nothing short of amazing.
>
> Kudos to all involved. Great work.
>
> For those of you still having problems I feel for you but be confident.
> I have heard the future and it sounds great!
>
> Mike Wright

Uh, I don't use pulseaudio at all, just alsa, and I can run audacious,
vlc and mplayer simultaneously and hear all of them. Of course, I can't
set the volume of each individually, but why would I want to do this in
the first place.

Most recent (last 10 years) sound hardware has a hardware mixer. You
don't need a software layer to make it work.

Regards,

John