Playing Cinema DVDs problem

gilpel at altern.org gilpel at altern.org
Sat Aug 1 21:06:55 UTC 2009

> On 01/08/09 20:03, gilpel at altern.org wrote:
>> vvmarko at... wrote:
>> I doubt I will ever get a Mac user impressed by the "wealth of data
written to the terminal window". That's exactly what they don't want to
see and, considering the matter at hand, rightly so.

> Anything that includes patents on either the Mac or MS,
> has already paid a fee to use feature x,y,z. either thought the OS, or
stand-alone app.

> You too if you want can go to Fluendo and buy a DVD Player for Linux.
That is also a choice that users have,
> the right to either accept or reject freedom

Ok, now I understand! Well, let's see if...

"Fluendo's codecs are their flagship products. They aim to provide a
complete solution for playback of proprietary media formats on computing
platforms using the GStreamer media framework such as Linux and other
Unix-like systems."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluendo

So, if I want to watch the French STATE TELEVISION in Canada, I can't
expect GStreamer to provide codecs: I'll have to pay Microsoft through
Fluendo to get the proprietary codecs.

Since most computers bought in large stores already "include" Windows,
Linux users would have to contribute to Microsoft's stash twice to read
the codecs provided by the STATE TELEVISION: once when they buy the
computer, once through Fluendo.

Is this what you meant to explain?